Monday, January 02, 2006


These are pics I told Gail I'd post - some ideas from a book on making fantasy fabric. You can use tulle in different colours to soften or change your base fabric, multilayered to give different effects, capture items - anything from 'confetti' - scraps of fabric, to flowers, feathers, lace, and bits of thread or yarn. When all that's done, you can embellish the top with beads, as in the first photo. This 'fabric' was created using sheer fabric cut into various shapes and then some of them muted by covering with brown tulle, and stitched in place with metallic threads.

If you want more detail Gail, or anyone, let me know and I can mail some pages out with basic instructions.

4 Comments:

Blogger miss~nance said...

Thanks Belle

That gives me some more food for thought.

i bought a book the other day which has batting felted between 2 layers of organza. If I can work out how to dye the batting several shades of green I might give that a go for the leaves.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I might even get round to using those fabric dying supplies I bought over a year ago and haven't touched yet :)

8:47 PM  
Blogger pinup said...

Cotton batting dyes very well, either total immersion dying or painting the dye on. I have also use thinned down acrylic paint which may give you more control over the shades you want. Or a combination of both....I haven't tried dying polyester batting but I would think that wouldn't take the colour as well as the cotton.
Is the method in the book where the batting fibres are pulled up through the organza? I've done that with wool fleece which has great results but not thought about batting being able to do the same. I must try it.

12:09 PM  
Blogger miss~nance said...

No evie it isnt pulled up through sort of squashed down into it. Also using some netting which is remived but the organza stays with the batting wedged between it. The organza is also sewn along the edges. The pattern was to make a sort of curtain I think

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home