Monday, October 02, 2006

Belle's answer to The Challenge


Here you see two pics: the Challenge that Jane sent to belle,and below it Belle's answer!
Now,her explanation:

I graphed the picture into 5 rows,then cut 3x8" squares of freezer paper,and drew curved lines on them,different widths,then cut these out,and ironed them to various fabrics which corresponded to the colours in the picture.
After I stitched the pieces together,back into their "squares" I cut each square in half on the diagonal,and then sewed different triangles together again into squares.These I sewed into the 5 rows.

I had decided before I started that I wanted an irregularly shaped quilt,so stitched the rows together in a triangle shape.
I didn't like the way it looked when it was looked too angular and "stiff" so I took to it with the scissors and "chopped it",until it looked 'more organic'.

I quilted it along the length in shallow curvy lines;in a few places I stitched around some of the leaf designs in the fabric,and in the top row I quilted in lines to echo the shape of the outline of the trees in the picture.

I stitched together lengths of the different fabrics I'd used to make the binding.

I think I'd like to add a bead fringe on the left side,from where it starts to dip in,but (I) haven't had a chance to sit and play with it yet.
I have a nice piece of driftwood that I'm going to use as a rod to hang it.
 Posted by Picasa

Friday, September 08, 2006

hi everyone sorry im late

hi everyone,
sorry it took so long to post on here. I finally got a pic to put on the blog. i decided to do an art quilt from outside the picture i got. So the picture i got was of trees and flowers so i decided to go bigger, as in that picture was from a scene in my art quilt. i decided to call my art "My Secret Garden". So i made a secret garden. it didnt quite turn out the way i had wanted but i learnt alot so i like it.

I still have to put the borders on it. i sewed them using the materials some of the ladies had send me. When i put them on ill post another piccy.

thanks for a great challenge, jane

Friday, August 11, 2006

Challenge completed

The hand quilting around the leaf print is finished;
Some gemstones and Marlitt rayon french knots have been added to the bank at the tree base. Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Mission (nearly) accomplished

The fabric was done with a sun printing technique;the tree was built with Xpandaprint and a heat gun ; Posted by Picasa

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Universe According to JayJay - by Jane

Well here it is at last. After so much deliberation I have finally finished, with a bit of help and inspiration from the kids. "The Universse According to JayJay" is a fantastical place full of colour and wonder.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

hi everyone,

i am having problems with photos and the puty, so i will send a piccy to farmgirl as soon as this silly thing can be worked out. I can put piccies on that r already saved on the puty but not from the camera. which is what i need to do. i feel so left behind in the technology world!!

anyway i ended up doing an art quilt about 50cms by about 75cms. I learnt that when i put some stabliser in the art quilt i shouldnt overlap it(couldnt get the needles through). So lesson one learnt! Also learnt that when i iron the stabiliser i should use the other button on the iron to help melt it together. Lesson two learnt! And finally lesson three was why in the hell was i using stabliser in the first place????

um what else....

nope think thats all for the lessons.. will have to check my log book, if i can find where it is that is.
oh and i also want to say - THANK YOU to the ladies that sent me some fabrics.. its much appercieated(?)

will post photos very soon - hopefully...

Friday, July 14, 2006

Country scene

This country scene was done by applique, solvi work, freehand Machine embroidery etc etc. Not a really good image here, as I have cows,chooks and a dog there that do not show up. Then I added the copy of my "blue pots " along the bottom, and from a distance it looks quite good. The milk pouring from jug to mug was the main "brain image " I got when I first had my "blue pots" piccie, and the country scene was how I interpreted that. Still I have learnt from it, and in the end enjoyed doing it, despite the frustrations along the way. Thanks to Jane for organising this challenge, and making me " think outside the square"............. Margaret waiting to see all the other results on the blog !!!!

Convergence quilt

This is the first of two quits I finished today. My story is ........When I received my picture I thought of a country scene and jugs of milk I started making my quilt then got bogged down with it, and abandoned it. a friend showed me a book "Convergence quilts by Ricky Timms" and I thought I would try that as my "pots " quilt. This is the result. My first rough effort showed better because when i copied the pic on my printer the blue ink was just about empty, so the image came out sort of pinky, and showed up better with the blue sashing. When I re printed with blue ink I should have then changed the sashing, but didn't think of it.. I am quite pleased though with this final quilt, and the jug of milk was from my original thoughts, with the milk kindly donated by Maureen. Now there is more......After finishing the quilt I had some "blue pots" pieces left over, and decided to try and finish the original quilt I had started. I shall now attemt to show you this one. Margaret