Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Ideas for art quilt challenge


Ideas for art quilt challenge
Originally uploaded by Jam_mam.
My wool picture is beginning to give me ideas - here are the preliminary sketches from my journal. The interpretation is still quite literal at this stage but I expect it to evolve as I begin to look for materials and methods. The piece will be quite large 42" x 52" to hang in the space above my fireplace. It will also be very textured with lots of additional materials, wool (no surprises there :)) and padded shapes too. I also thought about including other animal references apart from the sheep and rabbits that are already there in the drawing but I don't know how to draw alpaca. I would use phot transfer pictures but that would change the cartoon character that I have come to like about my work so maybe I will find another way, any suggestions welcome :)

1 Comments:

Blogger pinup said...

Great start....I guess the materials you use will provide the texture and layering will add the 'bumps.' Perhaps even needle felting some of the wool.
You can always stuff from the back as in trapunto (sp?)
It's a nice idea that you already have it's final destination in mind so you will begin to discover what you would like to see just by staring at the blank wall where it will hang. You'll get a sense of the light too.
I like the idea of adding animals....I saw an Alpaca yesterday little did I know that you needed a picture!! I've got some alpaca wool if you need a bit.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home